Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Backpacking in the Trinity Alps

After camping in Oregon for a month, I felt like I really needed to get into the backcountry. Instead of the big group camp with 7 people, I took off for the Trinity Alps with just me and my backpack. The trail was relatively uncrowded and the 7 mile hike to Grizzly Lake was short and steep.
As you get to these meadows (about 6 miles into the hike) you see this high waterfall (about 800') above you. There is no real trail, but there is a scramble up the wall to the left.

And at the top, here is the view. The waterfall at the top is nothing more than a small creek about 8 feet wide. To cross it you have to jump from one stone to another, which is not normally a big deal, but thinking about slipping and going over the side....


I tried to go light on this trip - no tent. Fortunately it did not rain and my little shelter was more for the sun. Two nights out under the stars.

More photos up at shutterfly.

No comments: